At our heart we are a theatre.
A year-round professional theatre which challenges boundaries, captivates the imagination, and enriches and engages the community.
Art makes good communities great and great communities even stronger.
● Saranac Lake is a special place, and our thriving cultural community is a big reason why.
● Case study after case study shows communities that invest in the arts flourish. In Auburn (pop. 27,000), a revitalized summer theatre festival sparked a downtown renaissance. In Bellows Falls, Vt. (pop. 3,200), the community poured money into galleries and art-related businesses, drawing in thousands of visitors.
● People want to live in places with thriving cultural scenes. 40 percent of respondents to a recent survey said they choose to live in Saranac Lake because of arts & culture, and another 40 percent said they visit here specifically for that reason. Families, entrepreneurs, innovators—a vibrant art scene is essential to attracting each of these groups.
● Young people grow through theatre. Studies show they gain empathy and appreciation for others through both participating in and viewing live theatre.
We’re not just a theatre in the community. We’re a theatre for the community.
● A proposed partnership with North Country Community College and SUNY Potsdam will provide students with elusive, hands-on theatre experience, an experience not available in the current limited facility.
● Students who may have considered leaving the community to pursue a performing arts education elsewhere now have a reason to stay.
● Technical theatre training applies to much more than theatre! Think construction, lighting, sound.
● New and expanded after-school programs will provide year-round programs to area youth.
● An expanding partnership with St. Joseph’s Addiction Treatment & Recovery Center will give veterans challenged by substance abuse the opportunity to build sets, maintain the theater and work in our box office, as well as participating in theatre-based programs addressing their needs.
Help sustain Pendragon’s future
As a nonprofit theatre, Pendragon relies on individual, corporate, foundation, and government support to produce dynamic theater on our stage. These gifts also fuel our education and therapeutic programs.
Pendragon is facing great financial challenges due to COVID-19, and we need your support now more than ever to help sustain the theater. Thank you for considering a donation and standing with us during this uncertain season.